Queensland Community Support Scheme
If you’re not eligible for NDIS but still need support due to your chronic health, mental health or disability related needs, we are here to help.
The Queensland Community Support Scheme (QCSS) is a new scheme that provides supports to people who, with a small amount of assistance, can maintain or regain their independence, continue living safely in their homes, and actively participate in their communities.
You may be eligible for QCSS if you are under 65 years old (or under 50 years old for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people) with:
- A disability (and are not eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme)
- Chronic illness, mental health or other condition, or
- Circumstances that impact your ability to live independently in the community
Under QCSS, we offer a diverse range of services that enable you to manage your day-to-day life in your own home and support you to connect with your local community. The range of support activities we provide are based on your identified needs and goals.
If you find it difficult to get ready for the day or move around your home because of a health condition or disability, we can assist with our in-home personal care services. Our experienced and caring staff visit you in your home to help with:
- Showering or bathing
- Personal hygiene
- Going to the toilet
- Getting in and out of bed
- Moving around the house
We can visit you on a regular day each week, or just for a short time depending on your needs.
Eating a balanced diet with three nutritious meals each day is an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. If you find it difficult to cut up vegetables or buy food from the supermarket, we can assist you by:
- Coming to your home and preparing food for you to cook
- Taking you to your local shopping centre and helping you shop for food
Our friendly team of dietitians can also help you to create meal plans that include foods that you like and provide all the vitamins and minerals you need.
Our services can be used daily, weekly, or just for a short time while you recover from an illness or surgery.
If you find it difficult to complete everyday household chores because of a disability or health condition, we can help with a number of general housework services, such as:
- Clothes washing
- Shopping for food or other items
- Other household tasks
Depending on your needs, we can set up a weekly clean, come for a few weeks while you are feeling unwell, or help with annual spring cleaning.
Capacity Building Activities
We can assist with a range of capacity building activities to help you be more independent at home:
- Helping you to use the internet and develop skills and confidence to order groceries for home delivery
- Assistance to set reminders to prompt you to complete specific tasks
- Assistance with correspondence, making appointments, placing reminder calls & helping to manage paperwork and bills
You will see regular carers so we can get to know you and be familiar with the way you like things, and if you ever need any extra help, it is always there.
We can assist you to access your community as safely and independently as possible and to participate in meaningful activities of your choice.
We may be able to assist you to:
- Access shopping and other essential services, such as the bank or post office
- Access and engage with health professionals i.e. your GP
- Engage with local clubs, social networks or groups that interest you i.e. walking group
- Link with supports and services in your local community i.e. neighbourhood centre, local library and/or church group
We get to know you and your story so we can help you meaningfully engage with your local community.
How to Apply?
You don’t need a referral to apply. Simply contact the QCSS Access Point on 1800 600 300 or email QCSSaccesspoint@ozcare.org.au. QCSS Access Point will assess your eligibility and determine the support you need to remain living independently in your home.