Earlier this month, members of some of Ingham’s oldest families gathered at the Chapel at our Trebonne facility for a historic Mass to farewell the Canossian Sisters who have faithfully served the local community for more than 70 years.
Arriving in Trebonne in 1951 on a train from Brisbane, the Sisters set up a school with the first classes held out of a makeshift shed. Remarkably, the shed had no roof and was set in a ‘snake-infested’ paddock but it became the meeting point for the large Italian migrant community. Dances were held there on Saturday nights before it became a Catholic Church on Sundays.
As well as teaching, the Sisters met growing aged care needs in 1966, opening the Canossa Home for the Aged, now Ozcare Magdalene Villa, named in honour of the Congregation’s Foundress, St Magdalene of Canossa.
Deeply admired by the Trebonne community, 79 Sisters served over seven decades to further education, aged care and community resilience.
With Sr Angela and Sr Rita, both aged 77, sadly saying farewell to our staff and residents over the weekend, we know their spirit will live on in the lives of the people they have touched.
Over many years, the Sisters have graced Canossa Aged Care Home, now Ozcare Magdalene Villa, with their compassion, commitment and unwavering honour, pride and dignity. Although it’s time for moving on, the memories the Sisters leave behind are gifts we will cherish.
Sr Rita and Sr Angela will be dearly missed. Throughout each day they assisted with residents’ wellbeing, activities and spiritual guidance.
It is Ozcare’s privilege to continue the Sisters’ legacy and philosophy of care to bring comfort, health and hope to our residents living at Magdalene Villa.
Pictured: Delegate Leader of the Canossian Sisters of Australia and Ozcare Spiritual Advisor Sister Melissa Dwyer with Sisters Rita and Angela.